Many customer's have asked about the ability to disable the device pop-ups that were added in v15. There is also issues with them when you are running the Distributed version of the product. This how-to walks you through a work-around to disable them.
As the summary mentions, many folks have asked for the ability to disable the device pop-ups that are loaded when you hover over a device name within any dashboard report. Please note that this work around will disable the pop-ups for all dashboard reports. It also needs to be noted that modifying any of the files used to power the web interface is not supported. I recommend documenting any changes that you make, in the event that you need to call tech support and revert back to your original configuration. Also be aware that any changes made to the web interface files will be over-written when you do an upgrade. With all that being said, if you wish to continue, here are the steps you should follow.
To start, here is a screen shot of an example of the pop-ups you are going to remove. Again, these are loaded whenever you hover over a device name within a dashboard report.
- You will need to be connected to the machine running WhatsUp Gold, either directly on the console or through an RDP session. You will also need to text editor.
- Open an Explorer window and navigate to your install directory. I will use my install path as an example, but yours may vary depending on where you chose to install the WUG application. Once you get to the installation directory, the remainder of the directory structure will be the same to get to the file that we need to edit.
- Path - C:\Program Files\Ipswitch\WhatsUp\HTML\NmConsole\Scripts\NmUI
- File - nm.site.js
- Once you get to the directory containing the nm.site.js file, make a copy of the file before we make any changes to it. Once you have a copy of the file open the original with a text editor. My personal preference is TextPad, but any text editor will work including NotePad.
- Once you have the file open you will need to scroll down to line 683 where you will find a comment "//Create device popups". After this comment is the function used to create the pop-ups. This is what you should be looking at:
- To disable the pop-ups you will need to comment out the 6 lines within the function that creates the pop-ups. To create a comment simply add "//" to the beginning of each of the lines. Be sure that you do not comment out the actual function, as this will cause errors. You should end up with this:
- Once you have made the changes, save the file.
That should take care of it for you. If you have any questions, please use the comments area below and I will do my best to help. Please do not call our technical support group in reference to making these changes. Also keep in mind that if you are implementing this workaround because you are running the Distributed version and receiving the errors on the pop-ups, that has been fixed with v16.